Quote of the Now

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

— Mark Twain

12.29.2009

A First Look at Bishop Falls

I've got three days off. Translation: I've got three days of writing ahead of me.

I started thinking about the project I'm working on right now. It's a YA paranormal romance series consisting of four volumes that focus on the main character, Anya. The series is going to be titled Bishop Falls.

In Volume I, Anya wakes up on the beaches of Bishop Falls--a small town with a wicked history--with no memory and nothing but singed clothes and a crystal necklace to her name. She is saved by Caleb, a dark and mysterious boy who seems to have a lot of secrets. Throughout the volume, Anya comes to find out that, although they've never met, she has a lot to do with Caleb's secrets, as well as the six young men and women the townsfolk call the 'Pendle Kids,' all of whom have necklaces similar to hers. While discovering these things, she must also confront the one who stole her memories, and destroy the dark amulet her enemy carries before it's too late.

In Volume II, enemies become allies. Anya and the other Children (they call themselves the Children of Pendle Hill, a.k.a. the Pendle Kids) must learn to trust the one who took much away from them if they are to defeat a common enemy, and it seems another nemesis may be controlling their every move.

In Volume III, Anya's memories are returned to her. Even as she realizes that she has betrayed the one she once cared for the most, Anya must save her sister from the clutches of a man known only as the Creator. In her efforts, she realizes she has a lot in common with this puppetmaster, who has a gift only too similar to her own, and Anya must face the fact that she might have to give in to the darkness in order to overcome it.

And in the final volume, Anya, her sister, and the Children face off against the Creator, but Anya is unsure of herself. She is only beginning to recognize the darkness inside her when her greatest enemy grants her a miracle - one that may cost her not only the boy she loves, but also any hope of rejoining the light.

So now that you kind of get what I'm working on, I'll get to the point. I've been trying to come up with working titles that match each other, and you'd be surprised how difficult that is. I randomly started thinking about it a few hours ago and here's what I came up with.

For Volumes I-IV, in that order:
Night Song
Black Flame
White Lace
Dark Tide

I tried to keep with the two-syllable structure, while also giving them each some symbollism that (although not very deep) isn't outright noticeable. Each title relates to an element that is heavily used in the volume it relates to. I chose Night Song (air) because music and the wind are entwined for Anya; Black Flame (fire) is kind of obvious; White Lace (earth) refers to a night-growing plant called whitelace; and finally, Dark Tide (water), which is also obvious.

The original working titles I came up with I didn't really care for. The moon is a big deal in the books, but not a main factor in each of them. The volumes used to be called Wandering Moon (too mushy and dramatic sounding), Harvest Moon (no symbollism, just the full moon of the month when the book was based), and Hunter's Moon (this one actually had some meaning, and was also the month's full moon name). As you can see, it was only a trilogy back then (The Bishop Falls Trilogy worked so much better than just Bishop Falls, but for fear of sounding like a Twilight impersonater, I didn't want to use Bishop Falls Saga).

So that's what I've been thinking about for the last three hours. Pathetic amount of work for as much time and thought as I put into it. Opinions would be helpful, but please, no giving me title ideas - I'm a firm believer that for a book to belong to its author, all aspects of the book must belong to him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Milo (K's Kitty)